Your go-to guide to ensuring you're all over your wedding admin

The not-quite-so-fun bit

Ok so it's not as enthralling as shopping for dresses or choosing your décor, but pre-wedding paperwork still deserves a spot on your to-do-list (although we get that it might come below honeymoon selection and shoe shopping).

Keep it simple, and don't leave it until the last minute and you'll have these three key areas covered in no time...

The marriage licence

Ordinarily, your marriage celebrant will ensure your wedding is registered with the requisite 30 days' notice, but it's worth checking! If you're tying the knot overseas, pay close attention to the local laws and finding out how to ensure your wedding is actually legal.

You may need original or certified copies of birth certificates, death certificates or marriage annulments (depending on the circumstances), and certified translations may also be required. The alternative is to marry in a civil or religious ceremony at home and then hold a ceremonial exchange of vows in front of family and friends overseas (you don't even have to tell them).

Changing your name

So you want to change your name? First, get in touch with the Births, Deaths, Marriages registry in your state. You can apply in person or by mail so long as you have your Birth Certificate and Standard Marriage Certificate. The typical order is to change your driver's licence and passport first, followed by credit cards, bank accounts, then....everything else.

With regards to your passport, since the application process can take up to six weeks, unless you're delaying your post-wedding getaway we'd advise travelling under your maiden name and then sorting it out when you return.

Honeymoon paperwork

Make sure the name on your passport matches the names on your airline tickets, so if you're heading off right after the big day, be sure to book your travel arrangements under your maiden name too to avoid running into trouble at customs.

Check that your passport has at least six months validity remaining after your return date, and several empty pages as failing to do so can result in being refused entry into some countries.

For travel to the USA, you need to register for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) which determines the eligibility for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.

You can do this online from the official ESTA website


Share to Facebook Tweet Pin It Email