Same sex wedding guide for overseas couples - getting hitched down under
- The low-down on saying ‘I Do' in Australia. 

With Australia finally joining much of the rest of the world in legalising, and celebrating, same sex marriage, we've put together a quick go-to-guide for overseas couples keen to say ‘I Do' down under.

Same Sex women love marriage vows


Australian citizenship is not required to tie the knot here so long as both parties are over-18 and neither is legally married elsewhere.


To marry in Australia a formal ‘Notice of Intended Marriage' needs to be lodged a minimum of one month and one day in advance, but not more than 18 months ahead of the planned date. Your wedding officiant can usually help you organise this, or you can download the form from the website of the Office of the Attorney General.

Do we need to live in Australia first?

No. So long as you've lodged the aforementioned form with the required notice, you can marry as soon as you land here (if jet lag isn't going to make you look less than your best!)

Will my Australian marriage be legally recognised back home?

Each country's government has its own marriage record requirements and laws, so you'll need to suss this out with your governing country in advance.

Where can I marry in Australia?

Virtually anywhere, so long as you have obtained the required permission and have an authorised celebrant or official conducting proceedings in a park, on a beach, on a clifftop etc

If we've already married in another country can we re-marry in Australia?

Afraid not, if you're already married elsewhere then any ceremony you stage here will not be legally binding. A popular option is to renew your vows or hold a commitment ceremony here instead.

Are same sex marriages legal in Australia?

Yes! After a hard-fought battle, same sex marriages are now legally recognised in Australia.

What's the witness requirement?

Australian marriages require at least two people over the age of 18 to act as witnesses to the marriage ceremony. This can be your parents, siblings, friends - just not the religious minister or marriage celebrant whose performing proceedings.

Do I need any other documents?

Yes. You'll need to provide your original birth certificates, your passports, any divorce decrees (if applicable) or death certificates of former husbands or wives.

What if our legal paperwork isn't in English?

If your legal documents aren't in English, you'll need to obtain certified translated copies using a registered translator.

Share to Facebook Tweet Pin It Email