Vicki Grafton Photography

Vicki Grafton Photography

If you choose to pack your wedding bags along with your passports and head off to wed in a far off location then you need to comply with the country’s marriage laws, as well as Australia’s, to ensure you will legally married upon your return home.

Do Your Research

Contact the Embassy, Consulate or local representative of the country you wish to marry in and find out exactly what the legal requirements are before booking anything.  Your travel agent can also get these details for you.

What Can You Expect

Some countries require you to arrive several days prior to your wedding so this will need to be factored in to your travel plans. Other destinations state you must have lived in the country for an extended period of time or only allow citizens to marry.

Other possible requirements are that you hold both a civil and religious ceremony or that you have a blood test prior to saying I do.

You may be required to show proof that you are free to marry which will mean obtaining a divorce decree or a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage. These can be obtained from overseas missions and state and territory offices of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Other records you may need other than your passport and Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage, is an original birth certificate, immunization records or religious documents. For example Catholic Weddings held overseas will probably require confirmation, baptism or pre-Cana records.

Once you’ve sorted out the dates make sure you give friends and family plenty of notice to organise their own travel plans.

If you are finding it difficult to satisfy all the legalities of an overseas wedding then do as other couples have done and plan a trip to the local registry office to get your Marriage Certificate on home soil before shooting off overseas to say I Do.

Wedding Tip :

When travelling as an Australian citizen to overseas destinations register with

Share to Facebook Tweet Pin It Email